10 things to do around Whitehaven this weekend
As we miss that usual mid-week holiday, it’s time to start getting excited about the weekend, and with Valentine’s Day on the horizon, there are plenty of deals. romances to get involved in.
1. The Rosehill Theater will look back on a decade of new-wave and glam rock with four-piece band, The Counterfeit Group, performing their 70s show this Saturday night, with music by Slade, T. Rex and The Bay City Rolls.
2. Make this weekend a moment of mindfulness by attending a Valentine’s Day yoga class at the Senhouse Center on Sunday at 3 p.m. The class will focus on the heart chakras and self-love.
3. Mix culture and science with a visit to the Beacon Museum’s Ian Andrews exhibition, The Sketchbook and the Collider – an exploration drawing connections between fine art and particle physics.
4. Feeling lucky or just in the mood for a laugh? Well, the Whitehaven Golf Club is hosting a boozy bingo night on Friday night. The event will mix up the age-old game while incorporating music, dancing and lip-syncing battles with fun prizes to be won including cardboard cutouts and toasters.
5. Thinking of relaxing this weekend with some good homemade food? Well why not contact West Coast Fish and inquire about their fresh produce home delivery service, or even the West Coast Fish van to Egremont Market and Cleator Moor Market every Friday, the business always ready to provide fresh recipe ideas.
6. Fill your boots with neo-Gothic culture by visiting the bell tower of St. Nicholas Church. Although her exact burial location is unknown in the field, wandering the burial site of the grandmother of the first President of the United States, Mildred Gale, makes for a worthwhile weekend excursion.
7. With the weather not great, this could be the perfect weekend to go to the movies. Visit the Ritz Cinema in Workington all weekend to see top blockbuster films including Jackass Forever, Sing 2 and Moonfall.
8. As Valentine’s Day approaches, why not grab a romantic meal at Number 11 Restaurant and Bar. They’ll be offering platters to share all weekend, prosecco deals and a Number 11 Kiss signature cocktail.
9. Why not show some love to nature this year. The nearby town of Workington will orchestrate a beach cleanup for Valentine’s Day. The Love your Beach event will take place on the 14th by Harrington Sailing Club.
10. Hire a bike from Haven Cycles and take a bike ride around Harborside, this could be the perfect family outing – just make sure you keep an eye on the weather forecast to avoid getting soaked.