Austin Water Center for Environmental Research Lunchtime Lecture, March 8
CER 2022 Lunchtime Conferences
- Free and open to the public
- Masks required at all locations
CER 2022 lunchtime lectures will focus on Alexander von Humboldt – his life, legacy and rediscovery. We will begin by examining our Western ideas about nature and the study of nature that laid the foundation for Humboldt’s ideas. From there, we will trace Humboldt’s influence on 19th century science and literature, and his disappearance from 20th century science education in the United States. The year will end by seeing how Humboldt’s legacy reappears in the 21st century within environmentalism, environmental science and the idea of the Anthropocene. Join us for a year of “Humboldtian science” and Alexander von Humboldt!
- What: March lunchtime conference on environmental research – Ecological imperialism and the geography of nature
- When: March 8, 2022, 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
- Or: Austin Water Center for Environmental Research at Hornsby Bend, 2210 South FM 973, Austin, Texas
- Other info: Free, open to the public; Mandatory masks
Dr. Kevin M. Anderson, Austin Water Center for Environmental Research; Alexander von Humboldt: Culture, Science and Geography of Nature
In 1798, Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) was appointed by the King of Spain to carry out the first thorough scientific exploration of Spanish America. Humboldt announced, “I will collect plants and fossils and make astronomical observations. But this is not the main purpose of my expedition, I will try to understand how the forces of nature interact on each other and how the geographical environment influences plant and animal life. In other words, I have to discover the unity of nature.
the REC Lunchtime lectures 2022
Western culture and nature study
Mars – Ecological imperialism and the geography of nature
- March 8 from noon to 1 p.m. at the AW Center for Environmental Research at Hornsby Bend, 2210 South FM 973, Austin, Texas 78725
- March 10 12-1 p.m. at PARD Senior Activity Center-Lamar, 2874 Shoal Crest Ave, South Room
April – Physical geography and natural science
- April 5 12:30-2 p.m. at the University of Texas, Norman Hackerman Building, 100 E 24th St Room 1.720
- April 12 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the AW Center for Environmental Research at Hornsby Bend, 2210 South FM 973
- April 14 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at Parks and Recreation Senior Activity Center-Lamar, 2874 Shoal Crest Ave, South Room
January – Natural philosophy and the study of nature. Watch the January recording here.
February – Natural History and Taxonomy of Nature. Watch the February recording here.
Consult the complete program of the 2022 lunchtime lectures in PDF on the Center for Environmental Research webpage.
About the program
Austin Water – The University of Texas – Texas A&M University
A partnership for urban ecology and sustainability: community, education, research
Located at Hornsby Bend Biosolids management factory
2210 South FM 973, Austin, TX 78725