Murphy Oil (MUR) – Weekly Changes in Research Analyst Ratings
Murphy’s Oil (NYSE: MUR) recently received a number of rating updates from brokerages and research firms:
- 05/18/2022 – Murphy Oil has had its price target lowered by analysts at Piper Sandler to $49.00. They now have a “na” rating on the stock.
- 05/18/2022 – Murphy Oil has been downgraded by StockNews.com analysts from a “buy” rating to a “hold” rating.
- 05/10/2022 – Murphy Oil has been upgraded by StockNews.com analysts from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating.
- 05/05/2022 – Murphy Oil has been downgraded by analysts at JPMorgan Chase & Co. from an “overweight” rating to a “neutral” rating. They now have a price target of $51.00 on the stock.
- 02/05/2022 – Murphy Oil has been downgraded by StockNews.com analysts from a “buy” rating to a “hold” rating.
- 04/22/2022 – Murphy Oil has had its price target raised by Morgan Stanley analysts from $35.00 to $53.00. They now have an “equal weight” rating on the stock.
- 04/21/2022 – Murphy Oil has been upgraded by StockNews.com analysts from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating.
- 04/21/2022 – Murphy Oil has had its price target raised by analysts at Truist Financial Co. from $41.00 to $60.00.
- 04/11/2022 – Murphy Oil has been upgraded by Zacks Investment Research analysts from a “hold” rating to a “strong-buy” rating. They now have a price target of $49.00 on the stock. According to Zacks, “Murphy is increasing its exploration and production activities in the United States and abroad. The company is also in transition through oil-weighted acquisitions, divestitures and discoveries. Murphy Oil aims to invest $650 million annually over the 2022-2024 period to further expand existing operations. Murphy Oil has entered into systematic hedges to counter commodity price fluctuations. Low-cost assets and maintaining a multi-basin portfolio will drive its performance. The company has sufficient liquidity to honor its debts. Its expense reduction initiatives will support margins. Over the past three months, the company’s shares have outperformed the industry. However, it is subject to strict federal or state law changes and compliance with these may increase its operating costs, which reduce margins.
- 07/04/2022 – Murphy Oil has been upgraded by analysts at Piper Sandler from a ‘neutral’ rating to an ‘overweight’ rating. They now have a price target of $54.00 on the stock, down from $38.00 previously.
- 03/31/2022 – Murphy Oil is now covered by StockNews.com analysts. They have placed a “holding” rating on the stock.
- 03/31/2022 – Murphy Oil has had its price target raised by analysts at Mizuho from $42.00 to $58.00. They now have a “buy” rating on the stock.
Shares of NYSE:MUR traded at $1.05 during Friday trading, hitting $35.22. The stock recorded a trading volume of 1,441,018 shares, compared to an average volume of 1,979,461 shares. Murphy Oil Co. has a 12-month low of $18.44 and a 12-month high of $44.63. The stock has a market capitalization of $5.47 billion, a price-earnings ratio of 55.03 and a beta of 2.55. The company has a quick ratio of 0.56, a current ratio of 0.60 and a debt ratio of 0.59. The stock has a 50-day simple moving average of $38.96 and a two-hundred-day simple moving average of $33.21.
Murphy Oil (NYSE:MUR – Get Rating) last reported quarterly results on Wednesday, May 4. The oil and gas producer reported earnings per share of $0.73 for the quarter, beating the consensus estimate of $0.59 by $0.14. The company posted revenue of $552.90 million in the quarter, compared to $661.40 million expected by analysts. Murphy Oil had a return on equity of 7.27% and a net margin of 4.06%. Murphy Oil’s quarterly revenue increased 45.6% year over year. During the same period last year, the company made earnings per share of $0.06. As a group, sell-side analysts expect Murphy Oil Co. to post earnings per share of 4.91 for the current year.
The company also recently declared a quarterly dividend, which will be paid on Wednesday, June 1. Investors of record on Monday, May 16 will receive a dividend of $0.175 per share. This is a boost from Murphy Oil’s previous quarterly dividend of $0.15. This represents an annualized dividend of $0.70 and a yield of 1.99%. The ex-dividend date is Friday, May 13. Murphy Oil’s dividend payout ratio (DPR) is currently 109.38%.
In other Murphy Oil news, Vice Chairman John B. Gardner sold 1,773 shares in a trade Tuesday, March 22. The shares were sold at an average price of $40.86, for a total transaction of $72,444.78. The transaction was disclosed in a filing with the SEC, accessible via this hyperlink. Additionally, director Elisabeth W. Keller sold 2,756 shares in a trade on Tuesday, May 10. The shares were sold at an average price of $32.39, for a total transaction of $89,266.84. As a result of the transaction, the administrator now directly owns 8,267 shares of the company, valued at $267,768.13. The disclosure of this sale can be found here. In the past three months, insiders have sold 12,065 shares of the company worth $448,552. 6.20% of the shares are held by insiders.
Major investors have recently been buying and selling shares of the company. Morgan Stanley increased its position in Murphy Oil by 22.8% during the second quarter. Morgan Stanley now owns 1,041,717 shares of the oil and gas producer worth $24,250,000 after buying an additional 193,392 shares in the last quarter. Truist Financial Corp acquired a new stake in shares of Murphy Oil during the third quarter worth approximately $795,000. Russell Investments Group Ltd. increased its position in Murphy Oil shares by 84.0% during the third quarter. Russell Investments Group Ltd. now owns 18,762 shares of the oil and gas producer valued at $467,000 after acquiring an additional 8,564 shares in the last quarter. Citigroup Inc. increased its position in shares of Murphy Oil by 24.0% during the third quarter. Citigroup Inc. now owns 326,884 shares of the oil and gas producer valued at $8,162,000 after acquiring an additional 63,244 shares in the last quarter. Finally, Allianz Asset Management GmbH acquired a new equity stake in Murphy Oil during the third quarter valued at approximately $3,604,000. 76.37% of the shares are currently held by hedge funds and other institutional investors.
Murphy Oil Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, operates as an oil and natural gas exploration and production company in the United States, Canada and internationally. It explores for and produces crude oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids. The company was previously known as Murphy Corporation and changed its name to Murphy Oil Corporation in 1964.
Get news and reviews for Murphy Oil Co Daily – Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of breaking news and analyst ratings for Murphy Oil Co and related companies with MarketBeat.com’s free daily email newsletter.