The 48-volt technology of the Mercedes GLE 450 4MATIC 2022: the only system of its kind on the market
Until before 2016, talking about GLE in Mercedes slang didn’t make sense, but that all changed when Daimler decided to give a big change to its midsize SUV, starting with its name because it left behind the name ML to accommodate the three letters: the GLE. A few years later, when the model was already established in the market, the Mercedes GLE launched its second generation and has now prepared a mid-cycle commercial update. From what I understand, there will also be another update in 2023.
Let’s start with some of the highlights of the 2022 model year of the GLE 450 4MATIC.
Some of the highlights for the 2022 model year are as follows. In the vehicle, the adaptive high beam assistant is now offered as standard. New upholstery options include Espresso Brown / Black Leather and White / Black Nappa Leather. Cirrus Silver paint is also now available.
The 2022 model year aesthetic of the GLE 450 4MATIC is slightly changed. These changes are already common in the restyling introduced by Mercedes in recent years. The front is slightly revised, as well as the rear. There are new bumpers. The grille is redesigned. The headlights are also redesigned. As I mentioned above in the highlights section, all of these changes are complemented by new exterior colors and rims the variety of which will expand over time, giving buyers a wide range of possibilities either in this body, or in its most elegant variant: the GLE Coupé.
The evolution is discreet. The GLE’s headlights appear to be tapered inward slightly, giving the vehicle a sharper look. There is a new light signature inside the headlights, especially when you turn on the high beams. The curtain-like high beam opening is gone, which I really liked about the 2021 GLE 450 model year.
The changes look even more timid at the rear with the new LED lighting design in similarly shaped lights. New rim styles, body colors and upholstery finishes also enrich the options catalog.
The interior is bright and spacious. The main changes here in the 2022 GLE 450 are the new steering wheel and the MBUX infotainment system, which is supported by two linked displays. Of course, it is updated with the latest version available providing the driver with many types of comfort and the latest driving aids.
The second row seats are very comfortable and the passengers have plenty of legroom. In fact, even tall adults have plenty of space here – here the GLE has the edge over the BMW X5 and other competitors.
The 2022 GLE models start from $ 55,700 MSRP and go up to $ 80,200 for the GLE 580 4MATIC SUV. The 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC SUV, which we’re reviewing this week, starts at $ 65,500 MSRP and offers plenty of good options in its standard trim.
Models and MSRP
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 SUV 55,700 $
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 4MATIC SUV $ 58,200
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 4MATIC SUV $ 63,500
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 580 4MATIC SUV 80 $ 200
- Mercedes-AMG GLE SUV 53 $ 73,550
Below are the standard features available for the 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC starting MSRP of $ 65,500.
- 3.0L I-6 engine
- 9 speed automatic with OD transmission
- 362 at 5,500 rpm
- 369 to 1,600 rpm Torque
- Type 4MATIC all-wheel drive
- ABS and transmission Traction control
- 1st Row Regular Express Open / Close Sliding and Tilting Glass Sunroof
- 19 “silver aluminum rims
- Front air conditioning, dual-zone automatic
- Driver and front passenger heated cushion, heated backrest Heated front seats
- SiriusXM AM / FM / HD / Satellite Radio, Seek-Scan
- 2 – 1st row LCD monitor
- Remote control (all doors) Remote keyless entry
- Rear fog / driving lights
- Heated mirrors
- Windshield wipers – rain detection
- MB-Tex leatherette seat cover
- Driver and passenger lumbar support
- MBUX with voice activation Navigation system
- Active parking aid Parking aid
Engine and power
For the price mentioned above, you get the I-6 Inline engine. This is a 3.0 inline 6-cylinder turbot with a 48-volt mild hybrid system. In fact, this 48 Volt on-board electrical system technology is one of the main technical highlights of the GLE 450 4MATIC 2022. Mercedes explains that the engines of the GLE 450 4MATIC, GLE 580 4MATIC and AMG GLE 53 are supplemented by a starter generator. integrated powerful and efficient. “This integrated electric motor system assists the combustion engine by adding up to 21 hp for short periods. high efficiency recovery. In doing so, it enables fuel savings that were previously the exclusive domain of high-voltage hybrid technology, ”the company statement read.
Other highlights of the GLE 450 4MATIC 2022 include:
- E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL: which is an all new available suspension system powered in part by the 48V battery and developed by Mercedes-Benz.
- Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX): which is Daimler’s new multimedia system with artificial intelligence and an intuitive operating system. This multimedia system has an MBUX Interior Assistant, which enables MBUX functions by motion recognition.
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC®, which allows the vehicle to follow a vehicle in front at a pre-selected distance.
- Active Stop-and-Go assistance which recognizes traffic jams, assists the driver in traffic jams up to around 37 mph.
- Active Steering Assist, which intervenes even if the lines of the road are not clear.
- Emergency stop aid active.
- Active lane change assistance.
- Active speed limit assistance.
- And more.
Smoothness is the first thing that characterizes the driving experience of the Mercedes GLE 450 4MATIC 2022. Compared to AMG, I would say, why spend more? The AMG is generally heavier, greener and less powerful than the standard GLE 450. While testing the GLE 450 4MATIC 2022 I love the creamy mechanics. I find the interior design and connectivity impressive and the exterior is devastatingly beautiful.
In town, the big vehicle behaves like any other luxury SUV. Comfortable, well soundproofed, easy to drive, the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC remains an accessible vehicle for the average driver. Fortunately, the electronics are responsible for stirring the sauce a bit.
The GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC is not a speed dealer like its big brother the GLE 63 S, but despite everything 0 to 100 km / h only takes a few seconds, less than 6 to be more precise: a ridiculous time for a vehicle of this size. If the SUV’s agility improves depending on the mode chosen, it is still necessary to respect the laws of physics, in particular in the curves taken at high speed. On the competitor’s side, the BMW X5 drives more sportily, the Mercedes GLE gains in comfort. Overall, the GLE 450 AMG remains a large SUV that is easy to handle on a daily basis. Therefore, its success with the public is not only due to the star that sits in the middle of the grille.
Armen Hareyan is the founder and editor-in-chief of Torque News. He founded TorqueNews.com in 2010, which since then publishes news and expert analysis on the automotive industry. He can be contacted at Twitter couple’s news, Facebook, Linkedin and Youtube.
Reference: Mercedes Media.
Images of Armen Hareyan.